Needing to replace my grungy old pot holders, I thought I'd pull a few together myself. I found a few ideas online and this is what I came up with:
Here is the tutorial I used for the basic concept: http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/04/craft_project_simple_quilted_p.html
I changed the design a bit. Instead of using 4 strips for the front, I used 2 pieces for the front.
Here are the supplies I used:
cotton fabric for back, measuring 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches
2 different cotton fabrics for front, measuring 7 1/2 x 4 inches
2 pieces of quilting batting, measuring 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches
Since I store my pot holders in a drawer, I did not use ribbon for a loop on the corner.
After turning the pot holders inside out and top stitching the edge, I stitched around random spots in the fabric thru all layers.