Tuesday, June 1, 2010

with a heavy heart

With a heavy heart, I am back from a month-long trip to Texas.

After a ten-year fight, my wonderful sister and best friend, Patricia, lost her battle with cancer. It first began as breast cancer and thru chemo and radiation, she conquered it.

The next time it reared it's ugly head a few years later, it showed up in the liver and spine. Again, thru chemo, she fended it off. Last April, she came to my son's wedding in Savannah, and looked like a million bucks.

A month later, three tumors were discovered in her brain. Her doctor encouraged immediate radiation. Unfortunately, the radiation was so aggressive that it began to destroy her speech, memory, and motor skills. After Christmas, her health started to fail. I was so glad I got to spend time with my sister, Patricia, before she left us.

Although, I could be biased, she was the most talented and creative floral designer, I have ever met. I cannot tell you how much I will miss our hour-long conversations -- 3 times a week!

On a happier note, she was absolutely delighted that our grand daughter, Caroline Jayne, was born on her birthday.

Anyway, here is one of my favorite photos of her, taken in Cancun in 1996.


















Thanks for reading my tribute to my sister.

4 comments:

  1. Your sister sounds like a wonderful woman. I can hear the love you have for her in your words. I'm so sorry for you loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for you loss.
    All my best to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so sorry to hear about your lost .. know that GOD will be with you thru this difficult time..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how difficult this time must be for you. Your sister sounded like a beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete